Saturday, January 24, 2015

A snippet of my novel (working title: The Halfway House)

  Susan was starting to get used to this bleak place. She finally had gotten a job with a telemarketing firm known as American Telesales.  However the uncertainty of this life was frightening. Her family hadn't visited with her yet. It would be two more weeks before she was allowed that luxury. Having to deal with all the other ladies and Miss Janae was causing some mental anguish. Memories came flooding back to her, this particular one going back to when she was a little girl of five years old.

I was remembering my first adventure outing when my mother wasn't looking out for me. She was engrossed in the afternoon matinee. I loved to explore and fantasize as a child, like any other child I suppose, but I would act on it. I started walking , and I finally arrived two streets away to the road where the giant (from my perception) cornfield stood. However when I heard the cows mooing I started to become frightened. So I walked back out onto the road instead of the tall grass. I finally arrived on the main road, Niles ferry. Ahead was a gas station where I planned to tell the clerk inside I was lost. I decided to pick some flowers on the roadside first. Talk about brazen. Cars were going by and that's when I decided to walk inside the small store/gas station.

The clerk saw me and said "Little girl where are your parents?" 
" They are not with me" I said. "I was riding my pony when I lost him, and I was afraid I would get run over,"
 Two elderly men , one I was suspecting was the owner told me he was going to take me home, and asked if I knew how to get home.
So believe it or not, I totally remembered how to get home, while these two old men took me home in their car. 
  They pulled up in the driveway to the half-frightened/half angry face of my mom in the front yard. 
  What have you done Suzy? My God you could have been hurt!"
  "Well she remembered how to get home Maam, so I glad she made it home. Does she have a pony?"
Let's just say from there mom had a sharper eye from that time, and wasn't going to let me out of her sight.

I lit another cigarette out on the porch. I realized my weirdness was a trait going all the way back to childhood. In hindsight, I was lucky I wasn't molested.




More will be revealed....

No comments:

Post a Comment